Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

Mother's Day was full of mixed emotions today. Robert had to stay home to wait for the appraiser, so he couldn't go with us to church. He did keep Moroni with him which was a blessing for Sacrament meeting. Moroni stayed in nursery last week, so I would have liked for him to go again and remain familiar with it. But, since I had visiting teaching interviews during Sunday School and I was conducting during Relief Society, I decided I better not risk it.

Sacrament meeting was Aaron Noltemeyer's farewell since he'll soon be leaving on his mission. I think this is what made Mom's day hard. I was trying to get Joseph to sit up and pay attention, and at the very least to quit disrupting Ben and Mary who were sitting beside him. He kept giving me faces and I was frustrated. Then Aaron gave his talk on becoming a disciple and he talked about having more meaningful prayer and purposeful scripture study. The tears came. I couldn't help it. I so hope I am teaching my 13 yo to be a disciple, but right now I have to get him to stop goofing off. I worry that he's not capable of holding a spiritual conversation. Yes, we need to laugh and be of good cheer, but we should be able to revere things of the spirit.

I think the blessing in all of this was I happened to see Aaron after Relief Society was over. I commented on his talk and said that I wished I'd known him when he was 12. He said, "maybe not." I know that there are a lot of changes that will happen for my son in the next 3-4 years... but I hope I'm picking the right battles now. How will I know? I can't peek ahead and see what I missed. I guess I'm going to have to go on prayer and faith and trust that the Lord knows what he's doing. I've trusted that he can mold me to be what he knows I can be. I just have to trust that he can do the same for my son.

When we got home Robert had dinner all ready for us. Mom asked if I felt pampered at least by dinner. I really should, and do, but Robert's gotten in the routine of having dinner ready for us on Sunday since Rebekah, Rachel and I stay for choir. I really feel pampered just about every Sunday. What a wonderful husband I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment