Monday, June 15, 2009

General Conference

For Family Home Evening everyone received their own copy of the General Conference Ensign. I told the kids that this will be our new family home evening manual. I don't think they knew quite how to take it, but I think it helped those who could read and follow along. I told them that they can get pens and mark it up and record their own impressions. Also, we'll be taking turns teaching the fhe lesson from General Conference. Rachel really wanted to do next week, but I told her we'll just go in order down, so Joseph gets it next and she can have it after Rebekah.

We read parts of the talk on being provident providers. We talked about delaying wants and about how we can better spend our family's funds. We also talked about pets. The kids have wanted pets, but they can be soooo expensive. They came to the conclusion that they will pay for their own pets with money that they earn (that also starts with Bekah's guinea pig).

We also talked about the small portion of money that they can be rewarded with and how they need to pay their tithing (first principle of provident living according to the talk) and then half can go towards savings and the other half they can spend.

The amazing part came after fhe. Rachel was waiting for Rebekah. While she was sitting on the couch, she was reading the talk that we had just covered for family home evening. I don't know if she was reading the two stories that I told them they could read later (Moroni was tired and grouchy from being at the pool all afternoon) or just looking at the pictures. What's exciting is that she was becoming familiar with conference of her own choice and interest!

No comments:

Post a Comment